While even the most memorable vacations can present their share of challenges; planning a vacation with a friend/loved one, without discussing potential conflicts, could be disastrous. With expectations high, and hard-earned money spent, it is is easy for tempers to flare… and disappointment to set-in. Before you go ahead and book those cheap flights you found online, sit down with your proposed travel partner and go over my questionnaire. I promise this exercise will save you a lot of frustration down the road.
Each traveler should answer the questions as honestly as possible. (I would recommend writing each other’s responses down for reference at a later date). After answering all the questions, if you still feel confident you will make good travel buddies, go ahead and start planning! You have my approval.
Questions For A Potential Travel Partner
- What do you want to get out of this experience?
- Where in (proposed country) do you want to visit?
- What do you NOT want to do in (proposed country)? (Ex. swim with dolphins, sleep outdoors, etc.)
- Will budget differences present an issue? (Eating at reasonably priced restaurants, travelling by bus instead of plane, etc.)
- What is your vacation budget? (Including; air, hotel, food, excursions, local travel, entertainment, etc.)
- What criteria do you have for accommodations? (Separate beds? Separate rooms? Wi-Fi? Balcony?)
- Where do you draw the line in terms of personal comfort? (Ex. dormitory accommodations, confronting extreme poverty, questionable animal shows, squat toilets, no A/C, bland food, etc.)
- Do you feel comfortable/safe going to (proposed country)?
- Are your daily routine/styles compatible? (Both morning people? Lights out at bed time? Party animal?)
- How will we handle disagreements?
- Are you comfortable being stared at/being center of attention in a foreign country?
- Are you prepared to dress modestly in conservative areas?
- Will you be comfortable having alone time during the day? During the evening? Will we have ‘alone’ time? Is alone time ‘safe’ outside of the hotel?
- Are you ok with (proposed country’s) rules on alcohol/smoking/drugs? Will you be able to abstain in those areas?
- Have you, or will you receive, immunization shots? Will you have travel medical insurance? Will you share that information with me?
- What happens if someone else wants to join the trip? (Your friend/family member or mine). How will that affect our dynamic? Will we still go on our planned trip if I don’t want your friend/family member to come?